Workshop for writers and literary translators
Dates: 14-15 January 2013
Registration: From 10:00.
Venue: Manoogian Hall, Paramaz Avedisian Building, American University of Armenia
Organized by: College of Humanities and Social Sciences of the American University of Armenia, Next Page Foundation, and National Publishers Association of Armenia in the framework of the Book Platform Project, and supported by the Eastern Partnership Culture Program of the European Union
Aims of the workshop:
- to provide practical knowledge on the various aspects of the rights of writers and translators, ranging from ones related to legal and contractual issues (copyrights, remuneration) to social ones (freedom of speech, working conditions, visibility)
- to provide a platform for discussion and exchange within Armenian literary and translators’ community, and with colleagues from the European Union as well as to give examples of international practices Ultimately, the workshop aims at empowering and motivating writers and translators for collective actions for improved relations with publishers, state and the wider audiences.
Participants: Armenian writers and translators, organizers of literary events and festivals
- Daniel Hahn (UK) − program director of the British Centre for Literary Translation, an award-winning writer and translator
- Sonya Vardanyan (Armenia) – Head of Copyright and Related Rights Department of the Intellectual Property Agency of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Armenia
- Shushan Mkhitaryan (Armenia) – Chief Specialist of Copyright and Related Rights Department of the Intellectual Property Agency of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Armenia
Speakers and facilitators:
Tom Samuelian (Armenia) – Dean of the College of Humanities & Social Sciences, AUA; Vahan Khachatryan (Armenia) – director of National Publishers Association; Armine Anda (Armenia) – scriptwriter, novelist; Viken Berberian (US) – novelist; Samvel Mkrtchyan (Armenia) – editor of ArtGrakanutyun, writer, literary translator; Siranush Dvoyan (Armenia), editor of Yev, literary critic; Mkrtich Matevosyan (Armenia), Aktual Arvest Cultural Union; Ruzanna Vardanyan (Armenia), literary translator; Nairi Hakhverdi (Armenia), literary translator; Arevik Ashkharoyan (Armenia), First Armenian Literary Agency ; Shushan Avagyan (Armenia) – lecturer at AUA and literary translator; Yana Genova (Bulgaria) – director of Next Page Foundation and general manager of Book Platform project
The workshop was organized as part of the Translation Certificate Program at the American University of Armenia.
For more information about the workshop program and speakers, refer to the Next Page Foundation website.